Poison ivy, oak, sumac and other plant rashes

Many people get a rash from poison ivy, poison oak, and poison sumac. This rash is caused by an oil found in the plants. This oil is called urushiol (you-ROO-shee-all). The itchy, blistering rash often does not start until 12 to 72 hours after you come into contact with the oil.

The rash is not contagious and does not spread. It might seem to spread, but this is a delayed reaction.
Most people see the rash go away in a few weeks.

If you have a serious reaction, you need to see a doctor right away. Swelling is a sign of a serious reaction — especially swelling that makes an eye swell shut or your face to swell. You should also see a dcotor if the rash covers a large part of your body, have large blisters, or cannot sleep. If you have trouble breathing or swallowing, you should go immediately to the emergency room.

If you have a rash that needs to be seen or treated by a dermatologist, call Gardner Dermatology to schedule an appointment.

Disclaimer: Individual results may vary from patient to patient and there is no guarantee of specific results.

Jane Iredale
Botox Cosmetic