Discoloration and Uneven Skin Tone
Discoloration and uneven skin tone can make your skin appear older unhealthy, dull, dry, and can be very frustrating to deal with. Discoloration can show up on the skin in many ways.
Some of these are:
- Hyperpigmentation- darkening of skin caused by an increase in melanin when there is an injury, illness or damage to the skin.
- Hypopigmentation- lightening of the skin when there is damage to the skin.
- Sun Damage- can cause various types of discoloration- redness, brown spots, white spots and more.
- Rosacea- causes redness and flushing to the skin, especially the nose, chin and cheeks.
- Aging- broken blood vessels, age spots, dark circles and other signs of aging can cause the skin to appear uneven and older.
- Melasma- a common skin problem that causes brown to gray-brown patches on the face and seem to be triggered by hormones.
- Vitiligo- a condition in which the cells that make melaning stop working and cause a whitening of the skin in patches.
- Skin Cancer- if the skin discoloration changes in size, shape or color, it could be skin cancer and should be checked by a dermatologist.
- Fungal or Bacterial Infections- can be mistaken for medical or cosmetic issues with the skin. If you have odd splotches on the skin that won’t go away, it is best to seek medical attention.
- Post Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation- caused by trauma to the skin. Acne can leave post inflammatory hyperpigmented spots even after the acne is gone and is worse when the acne has been picked.
Discoloration caused by sun damage, aging, hormones or acne are commonly treated for cosmetic reasons. With so many options available today in cosmetic procedures, lasers, peels, and other treatments, it can sometimes be difficult to know which to choose.
When you come to Gardner Dermatology & Med Spa, we will design a customized treatment plan based specifically on your needs and concerns. We thoroughly explain your options and help you choose a plan that will meet your skin care goals as well as your budget. Gardner Dermatology & Med Spa has the latest and most up to date technology, treatments, services and products to help you achieve healthy, beautiful, brighter and more youthful looking skin. Call (770) 952-1977 to schedule your free cosmetic treatment or skin care consultation with one of our Licensed Aestheticians.
Disclaimer: Individual results may vary from patient to patient and there is no guarantee of specific results.